Can't boot into WinXP after Easeus reboot

Get help with using EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, merbleue, zhihui

Can't boot into WinXP after Easeus reboot

Postby trebor909 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 am

Hello,
I was resizing my winxp partition into unallocated space to make a new partition and add some space to my linux partition and ran into a problem.
After setting up my size, EaseUs Partition Manager needed to reboot in order to resize my partition so I did reboot. This left me at the Grub prompt, I did not know what to do so restarted and same problem. So I ran my WinXp disc and did a fixmbr and fixboot command. Now it reboots into a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left of screen. I tried to run fixmbr again but now the command prompt is at C:\ and not C:\WINDOWS anymore. I think I may have damaged my boot record by rebooting after the 1st fix when the black screen would not advance. Is this fixable or do I have to do a re-install? Any help would be appreciated.
trebor909

Postby happyyoume » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am

Dear trebor909,

Have you encountered any message when resized the partition, could you please specify it? In your situation, we suggest that you can try to change the path to "C:\Windows" manually. When the command prompt is at C:\, you can input "cd windows" and press "Enter" key. And then you can use the fixmbr or fixboot command to fix the bootable problem. You can type fixmbr /help if you do not familiar with the usage.

Sincerely,
EaseUS Support Team S
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
happyyoume

Postby trebor909 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 am

No, I did not get any error messages when resizing. I tried to change the path to windows but it won't work. I'm familiar with some dos commands, so when I type "dir" to list C:\ directory I get: "An error occured during enumeration". The 1st time I ran fixmbr it was in the c:\windows directory now I can't even seem to change into it. I think the windows partition is locked from Easeus partition manager because it wants to boot into resizing the partition, but it can't find the c:\windows boot record.
I have gotten my GRUB menu back and tried to boot into windows xp from there but I get the following msg in the picture enclosed.
Attachments
DSC02687.JPG
the text after invalid reads: must be (f|h)dN
DSC02687.JPG (125.77 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
trebor909

Postby happyyoume » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Dear trebor909,

The error message always occurred by failing to add drivers. We suggest you try to boot the computer from the Linux partition. And then you can move your data out and reinstall Windows.
By the way, our product cannot resize linux partition for now. It can only resize FAT and NTFS partition.

Sincerely,
EaseUS Support Team S
happyyoume

Postby trebor909 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi happyyoume, thanks for the info & advice.
Okay, here's what I did: Short version: TestDisk repaired my boot record.
Long version:
I was able to run my linux partition but my winxp partition would not mount. I tried to mount it through file manager but it did not show up under directories, I also ran the force mount command in terminal but it still would not mount. So I went back to my WinXP disc to try to reinstall XP with just system files without touching my data files but it did not find my Windows folder or any WInXP installation files. I then ran HD test but it showed my drive was healthy. I downloaded SeaTools for DOS a diagnostic tool and ran the Short, Long and Acoustic test and all passed. I determined this was not a hard drive issue and since I was not able to change to my windows directory in recovery mode I thought it could be a software issue. With some google searching I downloaded SystemRescueCD and ran it as a live cd. Ran TestDisk, under this program I was able to access my windows xp files and directories and also ran some diagnostics, The diagnostics that repaired my boot problem was: NTFS Boot sector recovery. It found I had duplicate mft sectors or records and it fixed it. I rebooted and lo & behold the Easeus Partition resizer loaded and it resized my winxp partition with no problem. I rebooted and ran chkdsk in recovery & it found & repaired 1 error. Rebooted tried out windowsXP everything works partition is resized ay-OK. Then ran LiveCD to to add the new unalloacted space to my linux partition & also repaired my grub menu. I can dual boot now, & everything is working fine and my HD is healthy. :D
trebor909

Postby zhihui » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Dear trebor909,

We are glad to hear that you have solved the problem, and thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
EaseUS Support Team O
zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Return to EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)