Partition Locked after Partition Manager Crashed

Get help with using EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, merbleue, zhihui

Partition Locked after Partition Manager Crashed

Postby TheAngusBurger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Decided to use EaseUs Partition Manager to do two things to my 1tb drive:
- Partition it into a 850gb and 100gb partiton, maintaining my windows on my 850gb partition
- Expand my 850gb partition to use all the unallocated space I had left over (around 25gb)

My laptop said it needed to shut down and perform the tasks when it rebooted - I've done this before, no worries.
On reboot it seemed to load the partition manager, but then went to a black screen and hung there. After an hour I held down the power button, as I thought it had frozen.

My mistake :/

I then boot up the computer (I'm running windows 8 ) and it says it cannot load as it doesn't have access to the available drive. So, I loaded up my windows 8 installation CD, and tried a repair. Did nothing. Repeated, but instead loaded up a command prompt, where I typed the commands:

diskpart
list volume

This showed me all my partitions on the drive, and all of them were intact. I then attempted a refresh on my windows, and it says 'cannot access the drive, as it is locked. Unlock it first'

I know EaseUs partition manager locks the drive before working on it - my question is, can I unlock it, and maintain all my files? I really don't want to have to back it all up onto another disk, as I do not have access to another large hard drive.

I also have used your bootable partition manager to check my drive - it seems fine, and CMD from the windows 8 CD can show all my files.

Please help me, I've looked everywhere for an answer and nothing seems to work!
Many thanks in advance.

Angus
TheAngusBurger

Re: Partition Locked after Partition Manager Crashed

Postby Kenn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Dear TheAngusBurger,

Thanks for contacting us.

To help you better, please tell us which edition of our product you are using, what is the version number?

To solve the lock issue, we hope you can have a try to connect the disk to another machine as slave disk, then go to the original C partition to locate and delete the file "EPMBatch.ept" under Windows folder if it exists. After that, please connect the system disk back and boot from it. Then tell us the result.

And we want to remind you that file is hidden by default. So, please open 'My Computer', then choose 'Tools\Folder Options', Turn to 'View' page, check on 'Show hidden files and folders', uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)'. Then click "OK".

By the way, if you are paid user of EaseUS Partition Master, and the current version number is not 9.2.1, then please refer to the following link to upgrade to this latest version to manage partitions on Windows 8, as version 9.2.1 can support Windows 8 better.
Here is the link:
http://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=20004
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby TheAngusBurger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm

I believe it is 9.2.1 that I am using...

I did what you said, and deleted the file under windows. After connecting the drive back to my laptop and booting up, the same error showed, and an attempt at refreshing my laptop via the installation CD stated that the drive was still locked. What does it actually mean when it is locked? And am I able to unlock it without difficulty?

Thanks,

TheAngusBurger
TheAngusBurger

Postby TheAngusBurger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

P.S. I have noticed there is a hyberfile.sys in the drive... I'm assuming this is a hibernation file... would this have anything to do with it?

Angus
TheAngusBurger

Postby Nvidia » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 am

Dear TheAngusBurger,

We need you to tell us which edition of our product you are using, free home or paid? Besides, if the error persists after you deleted the files, you may try to search help via Google.
Heath
EaseUS Support Team
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby TheAngusBurger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 am

I told you the story in my first post. Could you explain what has happened to my drive - what it means by it is 'locked' - and if there is ANYTHING else that could possibly cause a locking?

I really appreciate your help.

Angus
TheAngusBurger

Postby Nvidia » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am

Dear TheAngusBurger,

Usually, if you have removed the file 'EPMBatch.ept' correctly, our product will not lock the disk any more. May be you can search for some help form MS now.

Once again, please tell us which edition you are using now.
Heath
EaseUS Support Team
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby dobri » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:41 am

I have exactly the same problem with the "locked" drive!
I can't refresh, repair or anything else..
then I tried new fresh installation of Windows 8 (and win7) .. and I couldn't do it!
It's totally LOCKED! Like.. there is no drive!

http://s8.postimage.org/xadunt2ht/IMG_20130127_100421.jpg

the strange thing is that the only thing I can see is System Reserved Partition (around 100MB).... and my 1TB partition (with Windows installation) is missing!! (aka Locked)?

PLS HELP!!!
dobri

Postby Kenn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

Dear dobri,

To help you better, please tell us the following information:
1. Which edition of our product you are using? What is the version number?
2. How did you operate before the issue occurred.
3. Can you send us a photo to show the error ‘locked’ drive?
4. If possible, pleae also send us a photo when you failed to re-install Win 8 or Win 7 system.
5. For the photo you sent, as our product will not cause disk missing, please check whether the disk connection is good. If the missing disk is shown under Disk Management, please send us a photo for analysis.
You can gather all the files above in your next post, or send them to our email (support@partition-tool.com)
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby TheAngusBurger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm

Right, I cloned my harddrive to another, just to check it was not the drive that was being faulty, and the problem still persists. The drive is locked, so I cannot do ANYTHING with it. No refresh, reinstall, or repair. Are you sure there was only the EPTBatch file that locked it?
TheAngusBurger

Postby Kenn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Dear TheAngusBurger,

Sorry for the problem.
Please send us the intact error message. Or taking a photo, and attach it in your next post. So we can analysis zhe issue better.
Please also connect the disk as slave disk, then go to Windows Disk Management and make a full screenshot, then attach it to us.
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)