Difference System backup - Disk backup

Get help with using EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, Kenn

Re: Difference System backup - Disk backup

Postby palosanto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 am

merbleue wrote:Dear palosanto,

If you don't want to backup the personal data, you may choose the "partition backup" function. With it, you may decide what to backup manually.

You mean 'File backup ' ... You cannot choose with partition backup
palosanto

Postby palosanto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am

M.Mao wrote:Dear palosanto,

Rolo42's replies are correct and helpful. But if you preseve 3 days or versions for incremental backup plan, it will delete the first 3 days' or versions' images on the 6th day (or the 6th image generated) due to the incrmental rule.Differential backup plan does not have such rule.

It should delete the very oldest one on the fourth day and keep deleting the oldest one from then on so that there are always 3 left. Why wait until day 6 ?
palosanto

Postby Rolo42 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

In hindsight, I would have left \ProgramData on C:; I moved it not knowing for certain if it would fill up the SSD and run out of space (some software does install several gigs of static files in that folder where it should go in Program Files). Additionally, some user preferences, data may also go in that folder that I'd want to preserve through a wipe/reinstall.

For my personal data (E: partition), I still use partition backup w/differential, incrementals. This way, I know I have everything and I can still browse the backup to retrieve individual files. This is also handy if my file system (like the MFT, for instance) ever got corrupt, I could replace the whole thing with a known good image. For off-site file backup, I use LiveDrive (BeeCloud.eu).

-=+=-

You have to wait until day 6 because deleting day 1 will break days 2 and 3 incrementals.
Don't Panic!
Win7x64 Pro, i5-2500K 4.2GHz, Zalman 9900MAX, Mushkin 8GB DDR3-2133, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580@833, Crucial m4 128GB SSD, WD 2TB FAEX, Seagate 2TB Green, 500GB 7200.10, Enermax Evo 1250W, APC RS1500, Antec 1200, Fire Engine Red Swingline 747
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby merbleue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Dear palosanto,

What EaseUS Todo Backup preserves are USABLE images. If you delete a full backup image of the first day, then incremental backup images of the second and third days can't be used.
Ted
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
merbleue

Postby palosanto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:01 pm

merbleue wrote:Dear palosanto,

What EaseUS Todo Backup preserves are USABLE images. If you delete a full backup image of the first day, then incremental backup images of the second and third days can't be used.

ok, thanks. I'm a bit thick I guess and I don't quite get it.
I would like on week 1 to do a full backup on sunday and ad incrementals to that one from Mon to Friday. Then start over again on Sunday of week 2 with a full backup.
How can I set up the 'preserve feature so that I have only week 1 full+incrementals set when I start week 2 full backup and get rid of any sets prior to week 1.
I want to be able to have always 2 backup sets but no more than that.
Perhaps I could do a differential on saturday and delete Mon-Fri incrementals so that I don't have so many partials?

What is a good strategy?
palosanto

Postby Zig » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Palosanto,

Set it up to preserve 2 sets, but be sure you have room for 2 sets plus one full backup, as the oldest set won't be deleted until the new backup is completed.

Zig
Zig

Postby Rolo42 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Your strategy will depend on how much data you're backing up (to include how much it changes) vs. how much backup storage space you have.

You can use differentials to cut down on fulls.
Don't Panic!
Win7x64 Pro, i5-2500K 4.2GHz, Zalman 9900MAX, Mushkin 8GB DDR3-2133, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580@833, Crucial m4 128GB SSD, WD 2TB FAEX, Seagate 2TB Green, 500GB 7200.10, Enermax Evo 1250W, APC RS1500, Antec 1200, Fire Engine Red Swingline 747
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby merbleue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm

palosanto wrote:
I would like on week 1 to do a full backup on sunday and ad incrementals to that one from Mon to Friday. Then start over again on Sunday of week 2 with a full backup.
How can I set up the 'preserve feature so that I have only week 1 full+incrementals set when I start week 2 full backup and get rid of any sets prior to week 1.
I want to be able to have always 2 backup sets but no more than that.

What is a good strategy?

Dear palosanto,

According to your description, you may set to "preserve the last 7 backup files". Then after you start week 2 full backup, files of week 1 will still exists. Only after you start week 3 full backup, files of week 1 will be deleted.

First, please notice that there are 2 important missed rules when image cleanup option works. The first one, if you specify preserve X backup files, our product will ensure there at least are X image recoverable. And the second rule is that all incremental images will be only available when the based on full image keeps intact, so if the based on full image is corrupt or removed, all following differential images will be unavailable too.

According to rule 2, if our product removes first full image after second one generates, then the amount of available images will be less than 7 which doesn’t math rule 1, so our product reserve the first full image until the total recoverable images reaches to 7 (even deleting a full image). Which means the actual amount of preserved image files may larger than the specified number 7 under these 2 rules, but it will be never larger than 14.
Ted
EaseUS Support Team
merbleue

Postby palosanto » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks.

For some reason, now the cleanup options DON'T show up in the schedule screen for a daily backup, only the "Appoint daily first backup as ...".
I have Easeus Todo Backup Workstation 4.0. Don't tell me that this version doesn't have this feature ...... !

After all the discussions, I thought I had things cleared and now I cannot set this thing up !

What am I missing? Please help. Thanks
palosanto

Postby Rolo42 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:47 pm

It's on the Location tab.
Don't Panic!
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby palosanto » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Rolo42 wrote:It's on the Location tab.

Embarrassing ..... thanks
palosanto

Postby Nvidia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Dear palosanto,

As Rolo said, it is located under Location tab, but not Schedule tab, please have a try.
Heath
EaseUS Support Team
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby palosanto » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Zig wrote:Palosanto,

Set it up to preserve 2 sets, but be sure you have room for 2 sets plus one full backup, as the oldest set won't be deleted until the new backup is completed.

Zig

Zig, what do you mean by "2 sets"? 2 days? 2 backups?
palosanto

Postby Zig » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Palo,

In this case, "Preserve no more than (2) backups."

Zig
Zig

Postby palosanto » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

Well. still struggling trying to understand how this backup scheduling system works to do what I want ... :x

I have a daily backup scheduled as incremental with 'Appoint daily first backup as full backup' and preserving the last 7 backups so that on day 8 I start again with a full backup etc.
I was expecting to see a big file the first day and a smaller file the days after with only the files that have been added or changed.
Why am I getting a full backup every day !!
Please see screen shots and notice the file size. It looks like it's always a full backup. I have not worked in the computer this weekend so there's no way that I generated 47Gb of new or changed files on day 2 and 3... !
Can you enlight me please?

Thank you
Attachments
backup2.jpg
backup2.jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
backup1.jpg
backup1.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
palosanto

PreviousNext

Return to EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)