WinPE Emergency Disk Creation - Side Issue

Get help with using EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, Kenn

WinPE Emergency Disk Creation - Side Issue

Postby gat0gelat0 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:33 am

While I was successful in creating a WinPE Emerg. Disk with Home 6.1, it created a side problem. It took me some hours to figure out that the WinPE Emerg Disk creation is the cause.

My analysis:
With 6.1 installed, when you create such a WinPE Emerg Disk/USB, and you don't already have all the necessary info that goes into the ISO file, then, as an EaseUS guru pointed out in another posting, the EaseUS Home 6.1 s/w will automatically download this info from the network and create the ISO and burn it to disk. This is correct. What seems to also happen in this process, however, is that any external data drive if already attached to a USB port, becomes unreadable. Actually, the flash/data drive itself doesn't get corrupted but the USB driver gets corrupted and the attached USB data drive is no longer recognized or read correctly. The drive may have a letter assigned and the data drive recognized (I tried diskpart, etc... but there is no partition in it) but is unusable.

My solution was to recover my system to before-6.1, i.e. as it was with 6.0 installed and before auto-downloading info for the WinPE ISO. Now the same attached drives are read automatically and correctly and all files are there. This problem seems to be only with USB drives that remain attached during ISO creation. Unattached drives work just fine, when tried after the ISO creation.

SO, please:
1. Backup a system image and have a bootable disk made when you have 6.0 on, and before installing 6.1, IF you plan to make a WinPE disk (if not, maybe this problem is irrelevant).
2. Remove all attached data drives (external/USB) before installing 6.1 and making the PE Emergency Disk.
3. After you make the Disk, reboot and check that any previously attached USB (which you removed only for the time of the ISO creation) is read correctly. If not, ...
4.....reinstall the system to pre-6.1 and the same drives will work. Don't throw out the USB flash drives thinking they are corrupted. I almost did!!

Cheers!
gat0gelat0

The number in the middle: 24

Re: WinPE Emergency Disk Creation - Side Issue

Postby Nvidia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Dear gat0gelat0,

Thanks so much for the usful test information. We will try to do more similar tests in our lab, and fix it if there is really such a BUG.
Heath
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Kenn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Dear gat0gelat0,

To solve the issue, please download and extract the patch file below:
CheckTool.zip
(16.1 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

1. Then get into “bin” folder of EaseUS Todo Backup installation directory (for example “C:\Program Files\EASEUS\Todo Backup\bin”), replace the old file with new one (patch file).

2. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage" ->"Services and Applications"->"Services". Restart "EaseUS Agent Service" .

3. Launch our product and try to create emergency disk again.

After that please let us know the result.
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby gat0gelat0 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 am

Hi, I've done the tests per your suggestions (both here and sent to me by email.)

The problem still persists. If I have a flash drive plugged in while installing 6.1 (I don't even need to create a PE disk), it subsequently isn't recognized anymore.

But I can get around the problem by removing all flash drives, installing 6.1 and then plugging the flash drives back in.

I consider this case 'closed' for my purposes. However, please check this out further at your end for a permanent solution.

Thanks.
gat0gelat0

Postby Kenn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Dear gat0gelat0,

Since you said the USB device can not be recognized under Windows while installing 6.1, after the installation completes,the USB device is shown normally?

We are informed that the issue has been solved in update. Please re-download the new copy of EaseUS Todo Backup from the link below and re-install it:
http://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=10001
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby gat0gelat0 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Ken,

Previously:
As soon as 6.1 installation finishes, I check for the flash drive and it is not there (not recognized).
I reboot the machine, and check again for the flash drive, and it is still not there.
I did not check for the flash drive during the actual 6.1 installation process itself.

Update:
I tried the updated 6.1 link you provided and downloaded and installed 6.1. I monitored what happens to the flash drive.
The issue seems to have been resolved. The flash drive remained recognized during and after install. Great!!

I still wonder if anything happens while creating the WinPE disk, because new information is being downloaded from the network (and I assume this includes some USB drivers...) but since I already created this disk, I will not try this out right now. Also, this may be a non-issue.

Anyway, thanks for working actively to solve this problem. I think the updated 6.1 version should become the default available to all users.

Thanks.
gat0gelat0

Postby Kenn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:42 am

Dear gat0gelat0,

Glad to hear that your issue can be solved.

Feel free to contact us if you have any question in the future.
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)