Restoring data from RAW disk

Get help with using Data Recovery Wizard. Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, M.Mao, Nvidia, Da-Boa

Restoring data from RAW disk

Postby blasted » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi team,

I've two HDDs with RAW file system. Not sure what has been done but I'm where I'm. After scanning in Data Recovery Wizard I can see some RAW files with total size about 150Gb. I can see lot of SWF files (size of each is more than 1Gb) and few GZ. This is not something I can open using Shockwave player :) How to restore data from such files?
blasted

Re: Restoring data from RAW disk

Postby merbleue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

Dear blasted,

For further analysis, please tell us the information about your problem:
1. Have you done (use the computer, make some changes) anything on your original hard disk (which contains the lost data) after you lost your files? Where did you install our program in? Where did you save the recovered files?
2. What is the exact file type of your lost files?
3. Which version of our product did you use, the free version or others?

We suggest you doing as following steps to have a further scam:
1. Choose 'Complete Recovery', select the file types you want to recover, and then select the partition or device which you want to recover from,;
2. Choose the "Option" above and uncheck all the items in the "FAT 12/16/32","NTFS","Common" page, and keep the default setting in "RAW" page, then click "OK" to ensure it, program will return to device list page. Click "Next" to continue.
3. After the "Intelligent Searching", there will be one or more partitions; you can choose the highest suggestion partition. If it doesn't work, please choose more partitions (max 4) at the same time to recover.

Attention:
Please be sure not to change (overwrite/format/delete/other changes) anything on the partition which contains the lost data. Please install the software and save the recovered files on another partition which does not contain the lost data.
Ted
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
merbleue

Postby blasted » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 am

1. I got this HDD from a friend of mine and was told that something has been done probably with this device. It contains quite sensitive data from VDR.
2. Lost files should be video files (AVI, MPG).
3. I'm running on Data Recovery Wizard Profeesional v 4.3.6.

HDD is not visible in operating system, I've tried to recover the partion using Partition Table Doctor and it looks like it was fixed. I'm unable to select the drive in Complete Recovery so I've tried to use Partition Recovery and it recovered about 150Gb of RAW files. I've copied it to another HDD.

How can I restore data from those RAW files? Or it's not possible at all and I'm doing things in the wrong way?

What other steps I can follow to?

Please advise.
blasted

Postby M.Mao » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 am

Dear blasted,

If you cannot open the RAW files normally, which means the lost data has been damaged or the files are not recovered correctly. Please run 'Partition Recovery' again and follow the method below to rescan the device:

1. The hard disk(s) list will pop up after you run 'Partition Recovery';
2. Before you select a disk to start searching, click the "Option" button above, and then switch to the "RAW" page;
3. Tick the two checkbox "Recover RAW files" and "Recover RAW files only", and set 'Maximal file size' to the max (2147483647 bytes);
4. Click "OK" to ensure, program will return to disk(s) list page, select the disk which you want recover data from, click "Next" to continue.
5. When it shows 'Quick Partition Searching', please click Cancel, it will show 'Intelligent searching', please wait till searching finished.

After the search process finished, the found files will be sorted by file types. You can use 'File Preview' feature to check your files (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .txt, .jpg, .bmp, etc. can be supported to preview).
Because when using this mode, program will not depend on the file system of the partition, you need to identify your desired files and save them manually, sorry for this inconvenience.

BTW, you can send your purchase information to support@easeus.com and we can upgrade the product to 5.5.1 version for you.
Mark
EaseUS Support Team
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby YoshQ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:59 am

I have the same problem as above. I am recovering from an 8GB Sadisk Cruzer flash drive. I have a device which records video to a selection of supported USB devices by writing it as it goes. It stops at 4GB or when you stop the recording and closes the file. My recording was stopped prematurely and the file was lost. It has appeared in "Lost Files" as a 3.75GB .swf file. The format the device writes in is MP4. Although neither when I try to play the .swf file nor when I change it to MP4 does it work. It seems it is corrupted. I have written very little data to the drive since this file was lost. Only Sony Vegas project files which are under 1mb in size. I have deleted some video files but I have not tried to put them back on. However, this raw file always seems to be corrupted when I recover it. Halp?
YoshQ

Postby Da-Boa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Dear YoshQ,

Normally, it would recover the lost data with the original format. In your case, the lost data failed to be found. We suggest you try again as follows:
1. Please run 'Partition Recovery', uncheck 'Ignore bad sectors' option and click Next, select the device which you want to recover from.

2. Choose the "Option" above and uncheck all the items in the 'FAT12/16/32', 'NTFS', 'Common' page, and keep default in the 'RAW' page, then click "OK" to apply the change. And program will return to device list page.

3. Click "Next" to continue. It shows 'Quick Partition Searching'. Please cancel it; it will process 'Intelligent searching'. Please wait till searching finished. Then you will see one or more partitions; you should choose the high suggested partition first; if you cannot retrieve your lost files through the high suggested partition, please have a try other partitions below which have files/folders matched, you can select max 4 partitions at a time. And click "NEXT" to recover.

4. After scanning, please use "Search files" option, you can search the target files by their names, types, size and relevant date. (For example, you can type *.jpg and you will find all .jpg files.)

5. Identify all your desired files and save them manually.

By the way, please be sure not to change (overwrite/format/delete/other changes) anything on the partition which contains the lost data. Please save the recovered files on another partition which does not contain the lost data.
Paul
EaseUS Support Team
Da-Boa
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby mikezzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 am

I've got over 700 mp4 files on a HDD I'm trying to recover, but when I run the steps above, all my files sill show up as SWF files. I cannot open these files and renaming them to MP4 does not work either. After running the above steps and searching files with *.mp4, there are no files found. If finds the files, but not in the correct format. Any suggestions? I really need to recover these files.

Thanks,
mikezzz

Postby mikezzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 am

I should also mention, it identifies the files as File001.SWF on up, nothing has it's correct filename.
mikezzz

Postby Hellen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

Dear mikezzz,

For further analysis, please tell us the information about your problem:
1. How did you lose your data?
2. How many partitions did you have? Which is the partition you want to recover data from?
After receiving these details, we will try our best to help you, since we always believe the data is valuable.

By the way, you can still use the method provided by Da-Boa in this Post. Usually, this method would give a better scan result.
Hellen
EaseUS Support Team
Hellen

Postby mikezzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

The HDD was a 3TB Western Digital My Book external USB hard drive. It was there one minute under My Computer and Disk Management, then it was just gone. I tried it in other computers, did countless things to try and get it to be recognized but nothing brought it back. So I removed it from the external enclosure, and put it inside my pc, plugged it into a sata port, and when I booted up it shows up in BIOS, but does not show up in My Computer. It does show up in Disk Management as the following:
Disk 2
Unknown
2794.52 GB
Not Initialized

It then tells me "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it".

I am afraid if I initialize it then it will make it more difficult to recover any data although I have seen it suggested that if I initialize it then it will work and my data will still be there.

There was only one primary partition on this drive.

Thanks again for your help.
mikezzz

Postby Hellen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Dear mikezzz,

You can still recover your data without initializing the disk. So you don't need to worry about that.
If you use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and it is the latest version 5.8.0. You can choose 'Partition Recovery', and the next step you can try it as follows:
http://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=30006
Then it will give you a better scan result.

If not,you can dnowload the latest version in this link:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizar ... ftware.htm
Hellen
EaseUS Support Team
Hellen

Postby mikezzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm running 5.8 and I have run it both ways. It never finds a partition so I can't choose one.
mikezzz

Postby zhihui » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Dear mikezzz,

To analyze this problem better, please send us the screenshot of our product where it can’t find your partition, and the screenshot of Windows Disk Management.

We will analyze this problem further.
Jason
EaseUS Support Team

zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby mikezzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 pm

The Drive I am having problems with:

Capture.PNG