Recovered Videos Won't Play

Get help with using Data Recovery Wizard. Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, M.Mao, Nvidia, Da-Boa

Recovered Videos Won't Play

Postby camaroon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:54 am

Hi, I recently made a number of changes to my computer and in the process lost all my media files. To give some background, I have a desktop running W7 and had a NAS enclosure with two hard drives which stored all my media. I recently decided to upgrade to W8 and move the hard drives from the NAS and put them in my desktop. I found out that the drives from the NAS were formatted with EXT partitions and since I had all my media from them backed up to a cloud backup service I repartioned both drives to NTFS so Windows could recognize them. But because of a mistake on my part the cloud service deleted all of my backups. I have W8 installed now and have been trying to restore the data from these drives using your software. Right now I'm using the free version just to see if it will work and will happily purchase the progam if it does. I've run two scans with this software. The first scan was with default program settings and it found, from what I could tell, all of my files. However, when I recovered a couple of videos to test it, none of them would play. It gives me an error that Windows Media Player can't play them, and VLC will play the first split second then stop. So then I read through these forums and and tried running the program using these steps:

1. Choose 'Complete Recovery', select the file types you want to recover, and then select the partition or device which you want to recover from,;
2. Choose the "Option" above and uncheck all the items in the "FAT 12/16/32","NTFS","Common" page, and keep the default setting in "RAW" page, then click "OK" to ensure it, program will return to device list page. Click "Next" to continue.
3. After the "Intelligent Searching", there will be one or more partitions; you can choose the highest suggestion partition. If it doesn't work, please choose more partitions (max 4) at the same time to recover.

Again, it finds the videos but they won't play. I haven't tried the last part, choosing multiple paritions to recover, so I'll give that a shot. And to be specific, I'm trying to recover predominantly media files i.e. music (mp3s, WMA), videos (.avi, mp4, mov), and pictures. I'd appreciate any help here because this is a couple years of videos of my son and family, years and years of music, pictures dating back to the beginning of college and includes my wedding, and about 250 movies I had ripped. The only thing I've done to these drives is reparition them. I have not written or copied anything new to them at all.
camaroon

Re: Recovered Videos Won't Play

Postby Nvidia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 am

Dear camaroon,

Usually, the scan method would give a better scan result, but if you still cannot find the correct videos, you may have a try with the scan method below.
1. The hard disk(s) list will pop up after you run 'Partition Recovery';
2. Before you select a disk to start searching, click "More">"Option" above, and then switch to the "RAW" page;
3. Tick the two checkbox "Recover RAW files" and "Recover RAW files only";
4. Click "OK" to ensure, program will return to disk(s) list page, select the disk which you want recover data from, click "Next" to continue.
5. When it shows 'Quick Partition Searching', please click Cancel, it will show 'Intelligent searching', please wait till searching finished.
Please have a try.
Heath
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby camaroon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm running this operation now and will update you when it's finished. It's running on a 2TB drive so it will take a while.
camaroon

Postby camaroon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 am

I've finished the scan and attempted to recover a couple of video files. I'm still using the free version of the program so I've been recovering smaller files, generally less than 100Mb. The majority of the files found are .avi format and when I try to play them, I tend to get this message from Windows Media Player:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

So then I tried to play the same file with VLC and I get this message:

"Because this AVI file index is broken or missing, seeking will not work correctly. VLC won't repair your file but can temporary fix this problem by building an index in memory."

Then it gives me three options: "Build Index Then Play", "Play As Is", "Do Not Play"

If I choose to build the index then play it, the file actually plays, but in the case of one file it's only 6 seconds of a video that's much longer. The other files I've recovered do the same thing, including a .au file that I recovered, only play a portion of the whole file. It's as if all the files that were found are just fragments of the larger file. But the good thing is that about a terabyte of data was found! Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
camaroon

Postby Kenn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 am

Dear camaroon,

We suggest you upgrade your current Free product to Full edition to save all the found files. Then check whether they are usable.
As we have the 30days money back guarantee. If our product doesn’t help you, then we will refund you immediately.

By the way, can you tell us the detailed information of your AVI files' size?
Ken
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Kenn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Data Recovery Wizard