Can't boot from cloned drive

Get help with using EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: zhihui, EaseUS, Nvidia, Kenn

Can't boot from cloned drive

Postby JRjr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:57 am

First time user. Downloaded Todo and installed OK I believe. My OS is Win 7 Premium 64-bit. Current C drive (generic 750GB) MIGHT be in impending failure.

Bought and installed Western Digital 1TB Green Caviar. Started my PC as normal, went to Disk Management and saw the new empty drive with all unallocated space.

I ran Clone Disk, from C to new drive (somewhere along the way it became E drive). I believe that went well, though it took 2-3 hours.

Turned PC off, disconnected C (OS) drive, connected new E (OS) drive to position 0, rebooted, F2 for Bios, and changed boot order, with new E as primary boot device. F10 to exit and save.

On boot up, skips new drive and goes directly to CD/DVD writer.

What am I doing wrong? Should the new drive be relabeled to C? I'm unsure about renaming original C drive before shutting down, and then renaming the new to E drive to C (OS). How would I remove the new name of E to blank so that E is not its default? Is this even necessary?

One thing I did after multipe attempts: removed the system restore volume (9.77 GB Unallocated) on new E and just left the 2nd partition with all my OS, operating files, etc, as it was.

It all sounded easy to do, but not sure what has gone wrong. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

JRjr
JRjr

Additional information

Postby JRjr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:14 am

I meant to add the following to my post above:

With the original C drive still the main boot drive, when rebotting with F10 to enter boot menu, I will select my new drive to boot from, and the boot proceeds as normal.

However, I'm not sure that in fact it is reading from the new drive, especially since it is labeled E.

As a test I did the above a 2nd time, selected another of my drives with no OS installed on it, and as expected, it did not boot.

So when I boot up using F10, is it REALLY booting from E, or actually from C? If it is, how would I know?

As I wrote previously, if the C drive is physically removed, then on reboot using either F2 or F10, I won't boot into Windows at all.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Yang Bo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 am

Dear JRjr,

We are sorry for your problem.
In your case, you said" On boot up, skips new drive and goes directly to CD/DVD writer", please tell us the details. If you have disconnected the original disk, you don't need to remove the new name of E. Did you remove the system restore volume?
You said" With the original C drive still the main boot drive, I will select my new drive to boot from, and the boot proceeds as normal", do you mean your C drive is the master situation and the new drive is the master situation too? After this, please tell us whether you can boot the Windows normally. If not, we suggest you set the cloned disk as master and then set the original disk as slave to reboot.
If possible, please send us the screenshot of Windows Disk Management with the C drive (Please right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management").

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Z
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Yang Bo
Groupie
Groupie

Postby JRjr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will outline the steps I've taken thus far.

Using Easus, I cloned my old C drive to a new empty WD 1TB Caviar Green HDD. Result was an E drive with 2 volumes (9.76 GB "restore" volume, and E (OS) volume, with some remaining unallocated space. I then tried the following 3 scenarios (none of which worked):

1) I left the old C in place, but using F10 on boot-up, I selected the new E cloned drive as my boot device. The PC booted normally, but I couldn't tell for sure which drive it was actually booting from, the old C or the new E.

2) I rebooted, and did the same as above, but deliberately selected the CD/DVD drive as boot device, and as expected, did not work. So far so good maybe.

3) I rebooted, but this time used F2 to enter Bios settings, and changed the boot order there: New E drive, followed by CD/DVD drive. F10 to exit and save. The PC failed to boot from the E drive, and instead tried doing so from the CD/DVD drive, which, as expected, failed again.

Next I physically removed the old C drive, and moved the new E into position 0 on the motherboard. I entered Bios settings again to make sure that the new E was the initial boot device. F10 to save and exit, and the boot continued.

But it seems to have not recognized the new E as a bootable device, and instead proceeded to the CD/DVD drive, and failed.

I went back and set up my PC back to its original config... and all worked as if the E drive were not there. With nothing to lose, I decided to do two things to the new E drive: I expanded the E (OS) volume to use the unallocated space on that drive, and also removed the 9.75 GB volume, as it appeared to be nothing but a restore (back to Vista) safe utility. I also tried expanding the E (OS) to use the now unallocated 9.75 GB, but stopped when it warned that the drive would go from Basic to Dynamic.

I went through all 3 of the scenarios as above, with same results.

The attached image show Disk Management screen capture (which I hope is visible to you... I've never done this before) as my PC stands now.

So, I am at a loss as to what to try next. I don't know how to change the Master Slave on the two Drives, but I thought that physically removing the C drive, that the E drive, now first in line for booting, would in essence do the same thing.

I hope I've managed to answer your questions, and that what I've provided is useful. Thanks very much for your help.

JRjr
Attachments
Disk Man Image.jpg
Disk Man Image.jpg (186.64 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
JRjr

Postby rt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am

Dear JRjr,

According to your case, we suggest you use Todo Backup to backup the recovery partition (9.77GB) on Disk 0, and then restore the image to the Unallocated space (9.77GB) on Disk 1.
Backup:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... tition.htm
Restore:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... mage.htm#1
Then we suggest you disconnect Disk 0, boot from Disk 1. If you still can't boot normally, please use the windows installation CD/DVD to repair the system.
Please refer to the link:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-easil ... up-repair/

Meanwhile, we want to know the following information:
Could you tell us how you expanded the E partition after you completed the clone process?
Do you mean you still couldn't boot from Disk 1 after you only completed the clone process before doing anything (expand E partition and remove the 9.75 GB volume) on the Disk 1?

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Q
rt

Postby JRjr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm

I will follow the steps you suggest. These will take me back to the condition just after cloning the C to the E (drive 1 now).

In answer to your 2 questions: (in reverse order)

Do you mean you still couldn't boot from Disk 1 after you only completed the clone process before doing anything (expand E partition and remove the 9.75 GB volume) on the Disk 1?

1) Yes, that's correct. I was never unable to boot from Disk 1, either before or after expanding the partition, or anything else. It was because of this that I did do the expansion, and delete the recovery partition to see if that would make any difference. It did not.

Could you tell us how you expanded the E partition after you completed the clone process?

2) Under Disk Management, I selected the E (OS) volume (Disk 1), right-clicked, and selected the option to "expand" it, to include the remaining, unallocated space on the disk. It didn't warn me about becoming a Dynamic volume, it just did it, and as you could see from the screen capture, it remains a Basic type.

Again, thanks for your help. I'll try your steps one I get back to home this evening.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby rt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Dear JRjr,

Thanks for your reply.
Please try the method mentioned in our last reply, and then tell us the result.
If you have further questions, please contact us at your convenience.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Q
rt

Postby JRjr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I hand a chance yesterday evening to look at all this again. Rather than try to "fix" what was there, I decided to start with a clean slate. I removed both volumes from the new E drive, and ran Easeus again.

First, I will start by saying that although I can still boot to my C drive, I know for sure my C drive has serious problems which will require my having to get a new one to replace it. It has been locking up frequently.

With that in mind, I was hoping Easeus would eliminate my need to reinstall everything. The first time I used Easeus and couldn't get it to work, I believe that the original clone must not have worked properly, although I didn't realize it.

So, yesterday I tried running the clone utility once again... I tried 4 times, all of which failed. Failure came, in 3 cases, at exactly the same point. The first screen capture below shows the error message, plus the time at which these errors showed up.

The 3rd attempt I thought I was making real progress, but after chugging along, the 2nd screen capture below shows a different error message, but failure nonetheless.

It must be that my C drive has enough problems (and I've run the restart repair utility, but it was unable to repair the damages it said it found), that they are preventing the clone from working properly.

If you can think of something else I might do to make a successful clone, I will certainly try it. But I'm losing hope and will probably have to do what I've been hoping to avoid, and that is to reinstall all my software, including of course the OS, everything. From scratch. Oh joy.

Again, thanks.

JRjr
Attachments
aseus capture-sm.jpg
aseus capture-sm.jpg (237.07 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
JRjr

Postby lovelyYY » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Dear JRjr,

In your case, we suggest you backup the Disk 0 to Disk 2 sector by sector, and then, restore the image file to the Disk 1. For how to backup, you can refer to:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... tition.htm
Please note check “Create image sector by sector” in step 1.

For how to restore a disk, you can refer to:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... mage.htm#2

After the restore process finish, please shut down the computer and disconnect the Disk 0, and then boot from Disk 1. If Disk 0 and Disk 1 exist in the computer at the same time, it may cause the boot up problem.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team G
lovelyYY

Postby JRjr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:06 am

Thanks once again for your help. At this point my problem is a moot one, now that my C drive has all but totally failed. I can still boot into windows, though slowly, and with a good many errors. Once in I can't start up email, Office, etc.

Fortunately I had backed up my important stuff, but I didn't get a chance to do the same with some emails I wanted to keep.

At this point I'm considering a RAID 1 for me OS, as my chipset supports it. Now I just have to install all my software. :x

Again, thanks.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby M.Mao » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 am

Dear JRjr,

We are very sorry for your problem.
Your case is very special and we will submit it to our program department to improve our product. Meanwhile, if there are many problems on your hard disk which contains partition C, we suggest you try to fix these errors by third-party tools before making a clone or backup. If you cannot solve them, please send your hard disk to technical maintenance agency to repair.

After you solved the problem, please use the method in our previous reply to backup your hard disk. And you can restore the image file to another hard disk if you want to replace your original hard disk.

You can use RAID 1 if your chipset supports it. It will more helpful to protect your data on your hard disk.

Sorry for your inconvenience again.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team E
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Return to EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)