Unable to open recovered files

Get help with using Data Recovery Wizard. Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, M.Mao, Nvidia, Da-Boa

Unable to open recovered files

Postby jks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 pm

My external hard drive crashed and I ran Data Recovery. The files (avi, mp4 etc) have been renamed and can\\\'t be opened.

Is the data lost or is there any way to access the files?

/jesper
jks

Postby fortunewill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Dear jesper,

For better analysis, please send us the following information:
1. How did your external disk crash? Can you access each partition now? Is there any partition lost?
2. Have you done (use the computer, make some changes) anything on your original hard disk (which contains the lost data) after you lost your files?
3. How did you operate our program step by step, could you describe it specifically?

By the way, please be sure not to change (overwrite/format/delete/other changes) anything on the partition which contains the lost data. Please install the software and save the recovered files on another partition which does not contain the lost data.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team P
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
fortunewill
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby jks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 am

Hi, and thank you for helping me.

1.The external hard drived started up but couldn´t be accessed by the computer. After checking with WesternDigital I ran the data recovery and then reformatted (only one partition) the external hard drive - It works fine now.

2.The computer has had an trojan attack (Nau.trojan) via Java Script which ESET NOD Antivirus dealt with. (I think this was prior to the crash of the external HDD but can´t really remember the order everything happend). I have run online virus check with F-secure and the computer seems not to be infected. The recovered data hasn\\\'t been changed.

3.I ran your \\\"complete recovery\\\".

Regards

Jesper
jks

Postby Nvidia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 am

Dear jks,

Thanks for the details.
In your case, since you have reformatted the hard disk and may be suffered a virus infection after formatting, so we have to say some files may hard to recovery. All of the operations may cause further damage to the lost file. But please don’t worry, we will still try our best to help you find your desired files. Please try with the following method and tell us the result.

Choose "Complete Recovery", select the partition or device which you want to recover from, choose the "Option" above and uncheck all the items in the "FAT 12/16/32","NTFS","Common" page, then click "OK" to ensure it, program will return to device list page. Click "Next" to continue. After the ‘Intelligent Searching’, you will see one or more partitions; then select the high suggested partition and click ‘NEXT’ to recover. If it doesn’t work, please choose more partitions (max 4) at the same time to recover.

After searching, there will be the files list, select a file, click 'File Preview'; Unless file is corrupt, you can view it before recovery. (.doc,.docx, .xls, .xlsx .txt, .jpg, .bmp, etc. can be previewed).
Please let us know the result.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team F
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby jks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 am

I followed your instructions and the result is quite similar to the previous ie. The files seem empty, they the have an actual size but the contents is gone. I tried open .doc, .avi, .jpg all with same result.
Regards

jesper
jks

Postby Nvidia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:31 am

Dear jks,

Thanks for the feedback.
As we said in our last reply, files may difficult to recovery after suffering some kind of further damage, but we still have another method for you, you can only detect the files you desired with this method, below is how to do this.
1. A device list will pop up after you run 'Complete Recovery';
2. Click the "Option" button above, and then switch to the "RAW" page;
3. Tick the two checkbox "Recover RAW files" and "Recover RAW files only";
4. Click "OK" to ensure, program will return to device list page, select the partition or device which you want recover from, click "Next" to continue

When the search process finished, the result will be sorted by file types.You can use 'File Preview' feature to check your files (.doc, .xls, .txt, .jpg, .bmp, .docx, .xlsx, etc. can be supported to preview).
Because when using this mode, program will not depend on the file system of the partition, you need to identify your desired files and save them manually, sorry for this inconvenience.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team F
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Unable to open recovered files

Postby mail2pps@gmail.com » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:10 am

Initially I had the same issue. i.e I couldn't open 99% of recovered files.
Issue:
Few days back, I encountered virus attach in my sony vaio VPCEA series laptop and tried to recover with my recover media which I created. As part of this recovery process, my h/w disk got formatted(I forgot to backup my data) then tried to recover from the recovery disk. After completion of 18% the recovery process got stuck and I couldn't login at all(was getting no OS found error). I contacted sony support center and they also tried to help me to recover the disk but didn't see any progress. Two days later sony technician came and replaced new hard disk and new ram rather. Thank God, my hard disk was in working condition. the next challenge to me was to recover the data from the hard disk. I spend around 4 days, and at last I got recovered all original files without any damage. The steps I followed is as below

Solution worked for me
I used the complete recover option and did the intelligent search. At the end of this search, I could see list of partitions with two of them are selected by default. then I clicked next, now all of my files/data were listed and I recovered them but 99% of these files didn't work(couldn't open at all).

So I now clicked the back button and It took me to the list of partitions page again. I did un-select the default selection and selected next 4 partitions(because I could only select max 4 partitions at a time) then clicked next, at the end of few sec, I could see the root directories "1NTFS(Local Disk)", 2NTFS, 3NTFS and 4NTFS in parallel. Now I could able to see the same copy of my files listed in all these 4 directories then I expanded the first one, i.e 1NTFS(local disk), and recovered all of my files, it worked very well.

I don't know why other three directories have the same corrupted files listed. Note the directory has the name "Local Disk). I don;t know what does this means, but after spending 4 days, I recovered all of my data. Thanks.
mail2pps@gmail.com

Postby helenayee » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 am

awesome technical support guys. I would probably go with the service and would choose the lowest cost for now. I am very happy about your product and I can totally feel that it will work the way I want it to be.
helenayee

Postby Da-Boa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

Dear helenayee,

If you want to try our product, you can refer to the link to choose the proper version:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/comparison.htm

We suggest you try the free version before buying the full version. It can recover 1GB data for free.
Here is the download link:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/download.htm

Tips: Please don't do any changes (overwrite/delete/format) to your partition which you want to recover data from. Please install the software and save the recovered files on another partition which does not contain the lost data.
Paul
EaseUS Support Team
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
Da-Boa
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Return to Data Recovery Wizard