Change Partition Letter to C?

Get help with using EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, merbleue, zhihui

Change Partition Letter to C?

Postby richmondg30 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:22 am

I just reformatted my HDD because of a virus. I bought a new, larger HDD and partitioned it into a smaller (Recovery) partition and a larger (Working) partition. I want to copy the old HDD onto the smaller partition. Then copy it again to the remaining (larger) partition and then boot to that Working partition. In the event i get another virus, I can copy the Recovery partition to the Working partition, reload my data and be back in business (I hope!).

The problem is that the new HDD has drive letters E and F and won't boot. I am assuming that the BIOS is looking for the C drive.

EASEUS won't let me change the drive to C because the laptop I am using to do all this work already has a C drive.

Two questions:
1. Is the boot problem a result of not having a C drive?
2. How do I go about changing the Working partition to C?

Hope I explained this properly.
richmondg30

Re: Change Partition Letter to C?

Postby Da-Boa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am

Dear richmondg30,

For your questions:
1) It's not the drive letter that caused the boot problem.
2) If you want to boot up from the new disk, you cannot achieve your goal with the partition copy.

In your case, we suggest you can just do disk copy to ensure the new disk can boot up. You can refer to the link about disk copy:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-pa ... k-copy.htm

Tips: If you want to copy the entire disk and the source disk contains operating system, when you click on 'Apply' to take effect the copy, please tick on 'Shut down the computer after changes are applied'. Please do not power on your computer with both source and destination disks connected as this may cause boot trouble.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team W
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
Da-Boa
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

VERY Strange

Postby richmondg30 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 am

I needed to get the computer up and running quickly, so I figured out how to get the drive to boot. It boots up with no problems now.

However I now have a DIFFERENT problem. It seems that every change I make to the larger (working) partition also makes the exact same change in the smaller (recovery) partition. Add a Word Doc to My Documents on the C:\ and the same Word Document shows up in My Documents on the E:\. Obviously that is not good since I created the small partition to use as a backup in case the working partition is infected by a virus. The way this works now, the virus will be copied to the recovery partition just like everything else.

Is there something I can do to fix this? If not can I delete the recovery partition and just keep my old HDD as a backup?
richmondg30

Postby rt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 am

Dear richmondg30,

Thanks for your reply.
Before we provide further suggestion for you, we need to know the following information:
1 You mentioned "Add a Word Doc to My Documents on the C:\ and the same Word Document shows up in My Documents on the E:\. Obviously that is not good since I created the small partition to use as a backup in case the working partition is infected by a virus." We are a little confused about your problem. Please tell us the exact operations you have done on the C and E partition.
2 In order to know your condition better, please take one screenshot of Windows Disk Management(Right click "My Computer"->"Manage"->"Storage"->"Disk Management"), and send it to us for further analysis.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Q
rt

Postby richmondg30 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm

As I explained in the original question (see above), I reformatted my original hard drive (70 Gb) and installed all drivers, updates, and software. Then, I went out an bought a new, larger HD (320 Gb). I partitioned the new HD into a smaller partition (which I call the "recovery" partition) and a larger partition (which I call the "working" partition). I copied the old HD onto each of these partitions exactly the same. My goal is to boot to the large/working partition and use that partition. I want the recovery partition to stay exactly as is was after I copied it. This recovery partition will be there so that in the future when I get a virus or malware on the working partition, I can copy the clean recovery partition onto the working partition, reload my data, and get back up and running quickly.

I do not want the recovery partition to change. I want it to stay exactly the same as it was the instant after I copied it. Instead, the recovery partition is changing right along with the working partition. If I save a document onto the working partition (C:\), a copy is also automatically saved onto the recovery partition (E:\). Why? The partitions seem to be somehow mirroring each other and I do not want that to happen. I want the E:\ to be not able to be changed at all and maybe even hidden.

Screen shot: Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
richmondg30

Postby rt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Dear richmondg30,

Thanks for your reply.
You mentioned "I copied the old HD onto each of these partitions exactly the same." How did you copy the old HD to destination hard drive? Please describe the exact operations step by step.
After you boot computer from destination hard drive normally, please connect the source hard drive to computer, and then take the screenshot of Windows Disk Management. Then send it as attachment to us for further analysis.
You said " If I save a document onto the working partition (C :\), a copy is also automatically saved onto the recovery partition (E :\). " Could you tell us whether the copy (which is on recovery partition) is the shortcut of the document (which is on working partition)?
After we get the required information, we will analyze it and provide a proper solution for you.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Q
rt

Not Sure What Happened. Let's Start Over

Postby richmondg30 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Since I just did all this work within the last couple days, I think it would be better to go back and do it over the right way instead of trying to diagnose and fix the curent situation. (I think it is booting to the smaller "recovery" partition instead of the one I want it to boot to. Frustrating.)

The OLD HDD (70Gb) is out of the machine right now but works fine and will boot up and run but is very small. The operating system, drivers, and software take up <10Gb with 60Gb free.

Here is what I want to do:
Create two partitions on the new 320Gb HDD. A large partition used to run the computer and a smaller partition which can be copied back onto the primary partition in the event of a virus on the primary partition. It seems to happen a couple times a year and I want to save the time and aggravation of reloading the operating system, drivers, updates, and software. Ideally the recovery partition would be hidden and/or read-only so that the user can't accidentally modify it (save to it, etc.)

I can completely reformat/erase/start over with the new HDD if that would be easier.

This desktop computer I am working on has only one HDD connection so I can't work with both disks at the same time on the PC. However, I have a Thermaltake Black Widow Duet (dual hard drive docking station) that I can connect to my Windows 7 laptop. That allows me to do any formatting or copying between the two drives.

If possible please give me step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this. Thanks for your help. I really hope that your Partition Manager can accomplish this task!
richmondg30

Postby M.Mao » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Dear richmondg30,

Thanks for your information.

First, you can connect the two hard disks (old and new) to your Windows 7 laptop. Then please refer to the disk copy method offered by Da-Boa (EASEUS Support Team W) to help you copy the old disk to the new disk.

After that, please connect the new hard disk back to the computer to make sure you can boot from the new disk normally, and then using 'Resize/Move' function to enlarge system partition and create new small partition with the unallocated space:

Extend system partition:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-pa ... tion.htm#2

Create new partition:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-pa ... itions.htm

In order to ensure a smooth and successful operation process and data protection, please pay attention to the link below before any partition operation:
http://www.easeus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18511

After you back up all necessary data to the small partition, you can run our product again to hide this small partition:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-pa ... itions.htm

Hope this can help you.
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby richmondg30 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Should I delete the two partitions and/or reformat the new HDD first?
richmondg30

Postby Da-Boa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am

Dear richmondg30,

You need not to delete the two partitions on the new disk. After the copy, the new disk will just has one partition the same size as the source partition you copy and the rest space of the new disk will become unallocated space. Then you can resize the partition and create new partition with the unallocated space directly.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team W
Da-Boa
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby richmondg30 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 pm

You guys are the greatest! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
richmondg30

Postby Da-Boa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Dear richmondg30,

If you have futher questions, please feel free to contact us.
Wish you have a good day!

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team W
Da-Boa
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Return to EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)