unallocated space can't be made into partition

Get help with using EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, merbleue, zhihui

unallocated space can't be made into partition

Postby echos2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 am

I'm using Easus Partition Master 4.1.1 Home Edition.

My C drive is 150G and has a clean install of Windows 7.

I want to add 2 more primary partitions (for a total of 3) and one logical partition.

I was able to resize C to about 60G, create E at about 30G and create F at about 30G.

I want use the remaining space to create a logical partition. However, the remaining space says "unallocated," and when I select it, I have no options to create or resize/move or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Echo
echos2

Re: unallocated space can't be made into partition

Postby L.qiao » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Dear echos2,

In fact, on a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk, you can create up to four primary partitions or three primary partitions and an extended partition.
If you have already reached the above limitation, we suggest you delete the last primary partition, then you can create two more logical partition.

Actually, we have upgraded our program to the newest EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition V5.0.1. We suggest you download it and have a try.
Here is the donwload link:
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
Actually, you should choose/highlight the unallocated space first, and then create a logical partition on it.
Besides, you can also create the logical partition in the Disk Management.

In your case, in order to a further assistance, please send us the following screenshots:
1. The screenshot of Windows Disk Management.
( Right click "My Computer"->"Manage"->"Storage"->"Disk Management")
2. The screenshot of the EASEUS Partition Master main interface.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team N
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
L.qiao

Postby echos2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:43 pm

As you can see, the computer doesn't recognize the unallocated space, and when I select it in Easeus, nothing is available to perform any kind of operation on it.
Attachments
easeus.jpg
easeus.jpg (204.39 KiB) Viewed 18026 times
mgmt.jpg
mgmt.jpg (209.95 KiB) Viewed 18026 times
echos2

Postby echos2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 pm

FYI, the Tucows download is version 4.1.1.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/506435
echos2

Postby echos2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Using version 5.0.1 now. I have the same issue -- I can't do anything to the unallocated part.
echos2

Postby M.Mao » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 am

Dear echos2,

As we suspected, you already had four primary partitions(OEM partition, C, E, F) on the hard disk, so you cannot create any more partition.

If you want to create more partitions, you can following the instructions below:
1.Run our product, select the last primary partition(partition F) and delete it.
2.Select the unallocated space, choose "Create" to create a new logical partition. You can resize the size of the partition.
3.Select the rest of unallocated space to create another logical partition.
4.Apply these operations.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team E
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

similar problem

Postby Aznoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am

I'm using Easus Partition Master 4.1.1 Home Edition.

I have resized my system disc C and I wanted to create from the unallocated space new partition for installing Linux. But I can't create new partition, too.

What I want:
C: let system Windows (40GB)
D: data (60GB)
The primary partition with no name are maybe some system backup, from Asus, so I don't want to change them (I'm affraid, that I destroy them).

From unallocated space I want to create partition for installing Linux.

Is deleting primary partition D and then creating 2 logic partition (D and E for Linux) from unallocated space solution of my problem? Are some other possibilities?
Or what can I do?

Thanks
Attachments
partition_easus.jpg
Easus
partition_easus.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 17840 times
Aznoh

Postby fortunewill » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:32 am

Dear Aznoh,

One hard drive which is based on MBR can only create four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended partition.
In your case, because you already have four primary partitions, our product allow you to only select the “Properties” menu and the” Advanced” menu on the unallocated space, but it can’t allow you to do “Create” operation.
If you want to create a new partition for Linux, you have to delete one of the primary partitions.
In the screenshot of EASEUS Partition Master, we found that there’s a partition which is recognized as “other” by our product. Would you please tell us what the partition is and send us the screenshot of Windows Disk Management (Please right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management").

As you said, “Is deleting primary partition D and then creating 2 logic partitions (D and E for Linux) from unallocated space solution of my problem?” This could solve your problem, but after you delete partition D, you could only create 1 logic partition for Windows, and make the other logic partition as unformatted, because Linux cannot install on the partition which is formatted as Windows file system.
After install Linux, you can use GRUB to boot up the dual-system.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team P
fortunewill
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re

Postby Aznoh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 am

The partition which is recognized as “other” is EFI, I think it is some system or BIOS backup. It was there when I bought the computer and I have any backup of it.

Note: the screen of the Disk Management is in Czech language.
PS: I apologize for my bad English.
Attachments
partition_windows.jpg
Screen from Disk Management
partition_windows.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 17769 times
Aznoh

Postby M.Mao » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am

Dear Aznoh,

For your case, we recommend you backup the data from the partition D and delete the partition, and then you can create a new logical partition as D with all the unallocated space.
After that, you can install Linux on the new logical partition D.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team E
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Re: unallocated space can't be made into partition

Postby minibeanil7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 pm

L.qiao wrote:Dear echos2,

In fact, on a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk, you can create up to four primary partitions or three primary partitions and an extended partition.
If you have already reached the above limitation, we suggest you delete the last primary partition, then you can create two more logical partition.

Actually, we have upgraded our program to the newest EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition V5.0.1. We suggest you download it and have a try.
Here is the donwload link:
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
Actually, you should choose/highlight the unallocated space first, and then create a logical partition on it.
Besides, you can also create the logical partition in the Disk Management.

In your case, in order to a further assistance, please send us the following screenshots:
1. The screenshot of Windows Disk Management.
( Right click "My Computer"->"Manage"->"Storage"->"Disk Management")
2. The screenshot of the EASEUS Partition Master main interface.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team N
minibeanil7

Postby lovelyYY » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Dear minibeanil7,

Could you tell us what problem you have met? If you have any problems, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team G
lovelyYY

Same Objective, Different Question

Postby datdarndot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:36 am

I have a drive with two partitions, both NTFS. Partion 1 is my Windows drive. I have deleted all data from Partition 2 with the intent of using that portion of the drive for Linux. I tried simply reformatting it to FAT32, but Linux installer did not seem to detect it. If I delete Partition 2 entirely, can I create a new unformatted partition which the Linux installer will detect? Can I format in Linux's native format (using Easeus)? Should I leave it unallocated? Should Linux installer have detected the (converted) FAT32 partition?
datdarndot

Postby lovelyYY » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Dear datdarndot,

Because your partition 2 is formatted with FAT32 file system, but Linux cannot install on the partition which is formatted with Windows file system, so the Linux installer cannot detect your partition 2.

As EASEUS Partition Master series edition cannot support Linux file system, so it also cannot help you format the partition with Linux file system.

In your case, you should delete entire partition 2 as unallocated space first, and then run the Linux installer, create a partition with Linux file system. Install the Linux operating system on the partition finally. Because the setup of dual system is very complex, so in order to ensure your computer can boot up normally, we suggest you go to Google to search more detailed information.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team G
lovelyYY

Return to EaseUS Partition Master (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)