First, could you please tell us whether you had tried to connect the external hard disk in usb2 connector? You said that you cancelled the smart search, so we suggest you use the usb2 connector again to search and retrieve your lost files, then tell us the result.
In your words, you said that some recovered word files were opened small squares and showing that need to be converted, so could you describe it specifically?
To better analyze your problem, would you please tell us the following information?
1. How did you lose your data? Deleted, formatted, or others?
2. How many partitions did your external hard disk have? Which is the partition you want to recover data from?
3. What is the file system of the partition you want to recover data from, FAT16/32 or NTFS?
4. Can you access each partition after data loss? Is there any partition lost?
5. Have you done (use the computer, make some changes) anything on your original hard disk (which contains the lost data) after you lost your files? Where did you install our program in? Where did you save the recovered files?
6. What is the file type of your lost files?
7. How did you operate our program step by step, could you describe it specifically?
8. What is the exact edition of your operating system? (plus the detailed version)
The more you tell us, the easier we can help you.
Besides, you said that you cannot open the AVI file through the Windows Media Player, so we think your AVI file might had been corrupted or overwritten already.
Actually, sometimes files recovered by Partition Recovery function of EASEUS Partition Master could not open normally. This is because these files are badly damaged or corrupt. Overwriting, disk fragmentation, virus infection. All these factors may cause the lost data unrecoverable. MS Office files (word, excel, power point) and large file (video files) may have this problem most.
Please don't do anything changes (overwrite/delete/format) to your partition/disk which you want to recover data from. And please save the recovered files to your partition which you don't want to recover data from.
EASEUS Support Team N
EASEUS Customer Support Center: