Very slow disk copy - new thread

Get help with using Other EaseUS products. Need help of EaseUS Todo Backup, EaseUS Partition Master, Data Recovery Wizard, please go in related forums.

Moderators: EaseUS, M.Mao, Da-Boa, Nvidia

Postby JonathanDQ21 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 pm

My old 320 GB SATA HD has bad sectors.
CHKDSK c: /r never got through 33% in stage 5 (frozen up no matter how long- disk drive LED was off and no whirring sound was heard).
Both DFT of Hitachi and diagnostic software by Dell claimed that the HD was defective.
However, it still allows boost up in Vista, and crashes often.

I used EASEUS Disk Copy to clone it on a new 500 GB SATA.
- After 8 hrs, it was still at only 21%
- Both disk drive LEDs are blinking or steady, and disk spinning sounds can be heard, indicating that both are still running
- Read errors = 533
- Remaining time= blank (beyond the computable value of the software?)
- Data rate=130 MB/min (it started out 1.8 GB/min)
- Copied: 65.82 GD
- Remaining: 232.27 GB

Question: is there any hope that this job will ever finish? Or I just have to reinstall the OS on the new HD. Thank you.

PS. Is it that difficult to make Disk Copy skipping bad sectors really fast? and also skipping blank sectors? Also Clonezilla Live crashed also even with -rescue option (it repeated forever some specific bad sectors)
JonathanDQ21

Postby JonathanDQ21 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Further info: Both AVG virus and McAfee were used to protect the system. Neither found any viruses, but both crashed whenever scanning over certain files. That's the reason for installing a new HD
JonathanDQ21

Done

Postby JonathanDQ21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:36 am

Hope this will help those who run into the same predicament as mine:
- My old HD failed really badly. No disk scan software can handle it. All crashed midway, including antivirus.
- Vista start up repair could not repair and suggest to send in a report
- It still boosted up but crashed every 5 minutes, virtually unusable
- Chkdsk /r failed (hung up in stage 5); only /f worked.
- Latest Clonezilla Live ran in infinite loop after 6 hrs (with -rescue option).
- Easeus Disk Copy got to 23% after 12 hrs

So, I found Acronis Disk Image for Western Digital (you have to buy WD HD to use it). It cloned my HD in less than 2 hrs. Never bogged down with bad sectors. Pop the cloned HD in and my computer boosted up beautifully. Ran Startup repair and everything came back perfect.

Just to share.
JonathanDQ21

Postby L.qiao » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:34 am

Dear JonathanDQ21,

First, we are glad to hear that you have solved your problem.
In your case, we think there are many physical bad sectors on your 320GB SATA HD.
Actually, our product can handle your problem without problem. When you using our product, if our product detected the bad sector, it will analyze and copy the bad sector many times; if our product still failed to copy the bad sector, our product will skip the bad sector, then copy the next sectors. So our product will take a long time to copy your problem hard disk.
Besides, as our product will copy your hard disk sector by sector, it will copy all the sectors on the source hard disk including the blank sectors, so our product will not skip the blank sectors.
By the way, we have another product EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0, and it can also copy your hard disk as Acronis Disk Image did. We suggest you download it to have a try, and it is FREE for Windows 2000 SP4/XP/VISTA/Windows 7(both 32bit and 64bit) home users.
Here is the download link:
http://www.todo-backup.com/download/
For more information about EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0, you can refer to this link:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/
You can follow this link to do a hard disk copy:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... -guide.htm

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team N
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
L.qiao

Thanks

Postby JonathanDQ21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you for the information. Easeus is a very nice software for certain applications. My only suggestion is to design a switch (or option) in Disk Copy that allows rapidly skipping bad sectors. In other words, do no try to read and re-read bad sectors, but quickly skip to the next.

In addition, an option to skip blank sectors would be nice.

Overall, the software is quite user friendly.
JonathanDQ21

Postby zhihui » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:16 am

Dear JonathanDQ21,

Thank you for your good advice.
Actually our product has this option, you just need to tick "Quiet mode (Ignore all read/write faults during the copy procedure.)" at the step "Task preview" when you copy your partition/disk with our product. If you have further question or advice when you are using our product, please feel free to contact us.

Wish you have a good day!

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team O
zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby adeleabrahamse » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm

All the information that you people provide here is really nice and I really like to read this information. One of my friend also facing this kind of problem. I suggest him to follow the tips that you provide here.
adeleabrahamse

Postby Maverick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Dear adeleabrahamse,

After your friend has a try, please tell us the result.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team V
Maverick
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Re: Thanks

Postby NatalieSmith01 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:17 am

[quote=\\"JonathanDQ21\\"]Thank you for the information. Easeus is a very nice software for certain applications. My only suggestion is to design a switch (or option) in Disk Copy that allows rapidly skipping bad sectors. In other words, do no try to read and re-read bad sectors, but quickly skip to the next.

Overall, the software is quite user friendly.[/quote]
Fully agree on that.
The software is quite user friendly.
NatalieSmith01

Postby M.Mao » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 am

Dear NatalieSmith01,

Thanks for your attention on our product.
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby funkyroads » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 am

zhihui wrote:Actually our product has this option, you just need to tick \\"Quiet mode (Ignore all read/write faults during the copy procedure.)\\" at the step \\"Task preview\\" when you copy your partition/disk with our product.

i believe that this option just hides dialog boxes about \\"retry, abort, ignore...\\" options. but in quite mode, software retries to read sector, maybe again and again, then skips the sector. skipping one bad sector is taking 7-8 seconds. but in copying process of my 1TB drive to other, about %63, bad sectors starts, and it takes 5 days to reach 140000 errors. if it could skip fastly (about copying time, or little more than it) the bad sector, it will be really cool :) my computer shuts down itself after 4-5 days :)

now i ask :

is there any option to skip/ignore bad sectors really fast, rapidly?..
funkyroads

Postby zhihui » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 am

Dear funkyroads,

Thank you for contacting us.
For your problem, when you use our EASEUS Disk Copy 2.3 to copy your disk, if you want to ignore all read/write faults during the copy procedure, only the "Quiet mode" option can be selected.
In your case, as there have too many bad sectors on your disk, maybe our product can't help you finished the copy, in order to ensure the data safety and avoid further damage, so we suggest you take your disk to local hard disk repair organization to repair it.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team O
zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Re: Thanks

Postby kajal123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

JonathanDQ21 wrote:Thank you for the information. Easeus is a very nice software for certain applications. My only suggestion is to design a switch (or option) in Disk Copy that allows rapidly skipping bad sectors. In other words, do no try to read and re-read bad sectors, but quickly skip to the next.

Overall, the software is quite user friendly.

Nice post,,,,,thanks for sharing that...
with regards,,,,
kajal,
kajal123

Postby happyyoume » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Dear kajal123,

Thanks for your kind praise.
If you have any other questions about our product, please feel free to contact us.
happyyoume

Postby Kate891 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Cool info shared about disk copy.
That was quite helpful too.
Kate891

Next

Return to Other EaseUS products