Suspected bug in Todo Backup home 2.0 ?

Get help with using EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, Kenn

Suspected bug in Todo Backup home 2.0 ?

Postby jihef » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Hello,

I cloned an HDD and I have found that 3 partitions out of 4 miss 4096 bytes. Only the partition used for Swap (2.0GB) is the right size.

All partitions are primary ones on a 320Gb HDD with no space left.

I had the same issue with a partition cloning.

Is this really a bug or did I do something wrong ?

Thanks for answering.
jihef

Postby jihef » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 am

Doing a sector by sector copy solved the problem. But I also found that under Partition Master it is not possible to set the partition size to same size as the original partition.
jihef

Postby zhihui » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Dear jihef,

Thank you for contacting us.
Our EASEUS Partition Master can set partition size to resize it, for further analysis, please send us the screenshot of our EASEUS Partition Master where you can't set it, and send us the screenshot of Windows Disk Management (Please right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management").

You said that your partition miss 4096 Byte when you clone your partition/disk with our product, do you mean that the partition size is reduced? Normally, if the destination disk is large or equal than the source disk, after you clone it, the partition size will not be changed. If the destination disk is less than source disk, after you clone it, the partition size will be resized automatically.

Your problem is very strange, generally our product will not cause this problem, for further analysis, please download EASEUSReporter.zip, unzip it, run EASEUSReporter.exe in the EASEUSReporter folder and send Report.zip as attachment to us.
The follow is the operation process:
Click "Next"->"I accept this agreement"->"Next"->"Select iffy disks or partitions"->"Next"->"Send".

You can also send Report.txt as attachment to us manually (you will find Report.txt in the EASEUSReporter folder after you finish running EASEUSReporter.exe).

Here is the download link:
http://www.easeus-software.com/download ... porter.zip

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team O
EASEUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby jihef » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for replying.

Here I go for a detailed explanation :
I use partition clone to do backup. I have 2 HDD (320GB and 250GB) that i copy on 2 other HDD (500GB and 320GB). Note that the backup HDD are larger than source HDD.
I made previous copies with Norton Ghost 14.0 but wanted to switch to free software.
I did several tests with partition cloning and disk cloning but without sector by sector copy with my primary drive. It has 4 primary partitions (approx. 20GB, 100GB, 2GB, the rest for storage).
As said above, when doing clones of all partitions or disk clone (which is finally the same, isn't it ?), the partitions 1, 2 and 4 miss 4096 bytes (are 4096 bytes less). I saw that by comparing the properties windows of the original partition and the cloned one. The strange thing is that Partition Master gives the exact same number of disk blocks for each partition (original and clone). I'm a bit confused.

From what I said, I suspect a failing HDD with several bad blocks, hence the cluster missing (4k clusters on the NTFS partitions I use).

I'll do screenchots later to better explain myself.

Thanks again for your support.
jihef

Postby zhihui » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Dear jihef,

Thank you for the details.
When you use our product to clone your hard disk, our product will align the cylinder on each partition of the cloned disk, maybe the cylinder on your source disk wasn't aligned, so after you clone your source disk to destination disk and got this result.

After you provide us more information which we want to get in our last reply, we will analyze your problem further.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team O
zhihui
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby jihef » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am

Here is all you asked for.

I've just cloned my C:\ (System) disk from the first drive to the second drive.

The disk manager shot.

After doing the clonage. Note the difference in size.

Please download the report : http://www.neufgiga.com/n/50-17/share/L ... bdd99a173/
jihef

Postby Nvidia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Dear jihef,

Thanks for the details.
We are sorry we get a little confused from your screenshots. In figure 1 (Windows Disk Management), there doesn’t have a 2GB Swap partition on disk 2 which you mentioned as an unchanged partition, and the capacity of first two partitions on both hard disk have exact equal size, there is no difference. In figure 2 (Properties comparison), we notice that the free space on disk 2 has expanded, but definitely the discrepancy is not 4096 Bytes, so for further analyzing, could you clarify the following queries for us?

1. Where did you find the 4096 Bytes discrepancy?
2. What is your goal through the clone, do you want to boot from Disk 2? If so, have you meet the target until now?
3. Have you done anything changes on Disk 2 after clone, where is the Swap partition?
4. Please send us the easeus.log file under bin folder in installation directory of our product.
We will try our best to help you with the useful information. Thanks very much for your kind cooperation.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team F
Nvidia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby jihef » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Nvidia wrote:1. Where did you find the 4096 Bytes discrepancy?

I am also surprised that this time the difference is size is larger thant 4096. It's all the more surprising as I did exactly the same thing as before.
Nvidia wrote:2. What is your goal through the clone, do you want to boot from Disk 2? If so, have you meet the target until now?

In fact I also backup-up my Windows partition to the first partition of my second disk as a quick back-up. This is what I tried to demonstrate the problem. And yes it seems to work.
Nvidia wrote:3. Have you done anything changes on Disk 2 after clone, where is the Swap partition?

As said above I just backed-up the windows partition to demonstrate. It takes less time than backup the entire HDD to another one (about 5 minutes compared to about 2 hours)
Nvidia wrote:4. Please send us the easeus.log file under bin folder in installation directory of our product.

I'l do ASAP.

Thanks for your patience and support. It is greatly appreciated.
jihef

Postby rt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Dear jihef,

We are glad to receive your reply.
We hope you can send us the easeus.log file for further analysis.
Thanks for your kindest cooperation.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team Q
rt

Postby jihef » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am

jihef

Postby M.Mao » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Dear jihef,

We think it is probabaly normal about your situation. Since the running of operating system will generate some temporary files, and the size of the used space on your partition C will be increased after you run a long time. Perhaps that is why the used space on the source hard disk is not the same as the used space on the destination hard disk.

If you still have any question about our product, please let us know.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team E
Last edited by M.Mao on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby jihef » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for your answer.
jihef

Postby M.Mao » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Dear jihef,

Thanks for your support. If you have any other questions about our product, please let us know.

Sincerely,
EASEUS Support Team E
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Return to EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)