Migrating HDD to SSD on Win XP

Get help with using EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users). Please do not post problem of other software here.

Moderators: EaseUS, Nvidia, Kenn

Migrating HDD to SSD on Win XP

Postby Guilin28 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. Just got my Crucial M4 128GB SSD and have been reading a lot to copy (migrate) my current Win XP system on HDD to the SSD. The XP OS partition size is smaller than the SSD, and there are several partitions on the 1TB hard disk - so, cloning process is not possible. I have to keep the XP since a couple of development work is in progress.

I have followed closely what was given to an earlier post below but without much success. The SSD is seen as "active" but it is not able to boot up after the recovery process.

Once the backup image recovery of the disk/partition SSD is successfully completed, the PC was shut down, and the HDD cable disconnected from SATA connection. Setup in BIOS to boot from SSD but nothing happened- only a black blank page with "_" at the top left hand corner.

What did I do wrong? Does it have something to do with MBR?

Any help is much appreciated. Kind of frustrated after spending 2 nights without much luck. Thank You.

zhihui wrote:Dear johnsavage,

Thank you for contacting us.
In your case, as all the data on the 320GB disk is about 80GB, and less than the size of the destination disk, so we think that you can use EaseUS Todo Backup to get your target.

EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.0 is free for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 users, and you can download it from this link:
http://www.todo-backup.com/download/

You need to backup the entire source disk with our product, for more information, please refer to:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... tition.htm

Please use our product to create a bootable disk, for more information, please refer to:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... ableCD.htm

After that, please replace the source disk with SSD, and then use the bootable disk to restore the backup image to your SSD, please refer to:
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/fea ... ableCD.htm
You need to tick "Optimize for SSD" at the restoring process.

Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 am

It looks like xp doesn't have drivers for your SSD.
Don't Panic!
Win7x64 Pro, i5-2500K 4.2GHz, Zalman 9900MAX, Mushkin 8GB DDR3-2133, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580@833, Crucial m4 128GB SSD, WD 2TB FAEX, Seagate 2TB Green, 500GB 7200.10, Enermax Evo 1250W, APC RS1500, Antec 1200, Fire Engine Red Swingline 747
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Guilin28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 am

Rolo42 wrote:It looks like xp doesn't have drivers for your SSD.

Well, when booted to the HDD XP, the SSD can be seen on Windows Explorer.

Additional info if this can further help - at first, I was using SATA3 for creating the system image and restoring but SSD cannot boot. Then I moved both HDD and SDD to SATA2, create image and restore again - still the same, SSD cannot boot after restoring.

My motherboard (Asrock Z68 Pro3) is using the latest BIOS as well as the Crucial SSD on firmware 009.

Hope can get the imaging done to avoid re-installing XP and other Apps but might have to do fresh if the EaseUs Todo Backup doesn't work.

Thanks.
Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 am

Your firmware is good (I have the same SSD but run Win7x64).

Are you plugging the clone SSD into the same exact SATA port that your HDD boots from?

Do you have RST caching turned on?
Don't Panic!
Win7x64 Pro, i5-2500K 4.2GHz, Zalman 9900MAX, Mushkin 8GB DDR3-2133, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580@833, Crucial m4 128GB SSD, WD 2TB FAEX, Seagate 2TB Green, 500GB 7200.10, Enermax Evo 1250W, APC RS1500, Antec 1200, Fire Engine Red Swingline 747
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Guilin28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Are you plugging the clone SSD into the same exact SATA port that your HDD boots from?

No, I put the clone SSD to another SATA3 port. Sorry, is this a MUST? If yes, I missed the instruction then.

Do you have RST caching turned on?

Nope. How do you do that? In Bios?

Just checked on my motherboard website - for the RST, it seems like need to download separate file and run. Is this normal? (PS: Can't do this now since at work)

TIA.
Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Try the SSD in the same port, leave the original HDD unplugged; I'd be curious if it didn't work.

The Z68's caching is awesome. You enable it in BIOS and install the Intel RST software. You can use 64GB for caching, 55GB boot volume--that's how I have mine setup; it pretty much makes the 2TB HDD respond like an SSD.

Enabling it will most likely require an OS reinstall but your motherboard may come with software that doesn't (the Gigabyte ones do).
Don't Panic!
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Guilin28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Rolo42 wrote:Try the SSD in the same port, leave the original HDD unplugged; I'd be curious if it didn't work.

The Z68's caching is awesome. You enable it in BIOS and install the Intel RST software. You can use 64GB for caching, 55GB boot volume--that's how I have mine setup; it pretty much makes the 2TB HDD respond like an SSD.

Enabling it will most likely require an OS reinstall but your motherboard may come with software that doesn't (the Gigabyte ones do).

Hi Rolo42, Thank You for the information.

Will give a go tonight when I am back home - ie. put the cloned SSD on the same HDD port.

Have not thought of caching - while it looks good, not sure whether I am ready to be "dangerous". Originally thinking to have the following triple boot system set-up:

- WinXP on the 1TB HDD (partitioned to 50GB for system OS. The rest for data). This is just a back-up in case the SSD goes down since unsure of reliability.
- WinXP on SSD (partitioned to 50GB). Original plan to have a clone of the HDD XP but might want to start with fresh install due to alignment and AHCI. This is IF Easeus TDBU is not able to help.
- Win7 64bit on SSD (remaining size on SSD). Fresh install to max out my new 2x4GB GSkill RAM.

Perhaps your suggestion above with Z68 caching will make my initial thought of having WinXP on SSD redundant? Perhaps the following is a better setup?

- WinXP on 1TB HDD (leave it as-is). Do I need an AHCI (since my SSD requires)?
- Win7 64bit on SSD (dual boot system)
- Z68 caching on SSD (you suggested 64GB size - any reason?)

(You are using 64Gb cache and 55GB boot volume - what happened to the rest on SSD? - assuming you are using 128Gb SSD)

Saw this post after you mentioned above (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2172381). Is there any guide that you were using before? Link will be helpful.

Thank You.
Guilin28

Postby M.Mao » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Dear Guilin28,

Generally, no matter you use SATA2 or SATA3, it will not influence the boot of the system.

Did you tick 'Optimize for SSD' during the restoration? If not, please tick this option to try again. If you still cannot boot, please use Windows installation CD to repair the system:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/13 ... indows-xp/

Meanwhile, thanks very much for Rolo42's help.

Sincerely,
EaseUS Support Team E
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm
M.Mao
Patriarch Member
Patriarch Member

Postby Guilin28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:53 pm

M.Mao wrote:Dear Guilin28,

Generally, no matter you use SATA2 or SATA3, it will not influence the boot of the system.

Did you tick 'Optimize for SSD' during the restoration? If not, please tick this option to try again. If you still cannot boot, please use Windows installation CD to repair the system:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/13 ... indows-xp/

Meanwhile, thanks very much for Rolo42's help.

Sincerely,
EaseUS Support Team E
EaseUS Customer Support Center:
http://www.easeus.com/support.htm

Tried changing the cloned SSD port to the HDD SATA port - does not help.

Also, tried to repair XP using windows installation CD - the OS reloads/repair but finally after rebooting, hangs up showing "Press any key to boot from CD ...."

So, not going anywhere now. The EaseUs TDBU does not help.

Really tempted to use the Z80 SRT setup but to re-install the XP OS and many Apps is making me hesitate.

Just a question on SRT - if the SSD is set-up with SRT cache and OS (Win 7), can the SSD setup be undone later?
Guilin28

Postby Guilin28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Rolo42 wrote:The Z68's caching is awesome. You enable it in BIOS and install the Intel SRT software. You can use 64GB for caching, 55GB boot volume--that's how I have mine setup; it pretty much makes the 2TB HDD respond like an SSD.

Hi Rolo42, if it is possible - can you create a step-by-step tutorial (kind of Dummy's Guide) on the process you took to set-up your SRT cache/boot volume combo.

I am very keen on this, and I'm quite sure, others will benefit as well.

I have seen one on AnandTech but kind of brief for noobs.

Also, as a confirmation, does TRIM works on your Crucial M4 / Win7 boot volume? Others mentioned it is not possible under RAID.

TIA.
Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 am

- I should have mentioned re-cloning first and then trying the clone off the same SATA port; the cloned xp may have attempted to reconfigure itself, making it unusable. Which disk controller you use is relevant since your OS install in configured to boot from that controller. If it doesn't boot, try the repair option on the xp install disc.

- At this point, I would seriously reconsider whether you need xp still. (I understand; I used it exclusively until Feb this year and never ran Vista.) Very few programs won't run under 7--for the apps, you have xp mode and for games, relegate those to an older PC. If you still must run xp on it, I would put it after the Win7 partition and before your data partition; I don't know if RST caching is available for xp.

- Intel RST maximum caching size is 64GB; I use all of it so it caches games I'm currently playing. This will leave 55GB free formatted capacity on a 128GB SSD. Additionally, you choose one drive to cache.

- To use caching, you configure the Intel RAID controller to RAID, which includes AHCI anyway.

- SSDs are no less reliable than HDDs (and in my recent experience, more reliable). Additionally, when an SSD wears out, it is still readable for at least a year afterwards. You should backup your computer (or at least what can't be otherwise replaced/recovered) regardless of medium anyway.

- Unless you're running RAID or AFD, you don't need to align HDDs. Let Windows (or use its diskpart align parameter) to create SSD partitions; it aligns to 1M, which covers every possible scenario.

There are two guides (google them) I used: one to install Win7 onto the same SSD used for caching (you will have to install Win7 twice, which you should do anyway as the first install should be used to test/burn-in your hardware, especially if you overclock). The other guide explains how to use audit mode to install \Users and \ProgramData to another partition, which is what you'll need to to to keep them on the HDD.
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Guilin28 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:42 am

- I should have mentioned re-cloning first and then trying the clone off the same SATA port; the cloned xp may have attempted to reconfigure itself, making it unusable. Which disk controller you use is relevant since your OS install in configured to boot from that controller. If it doesn't boot, try the repair option on the xp install disc.

Done this but still does not help. Btw, not able to use Clone function (due to multiple partitions and HDD size) but System Backup/Recovery function on Disk/Partition.

- At this point, I would seriously reconsider whether you need xp still. (I understand; I used it exclusively until Feb this year and never ran Vista.) Very few programs won't run under 7--for the apps, you have xp mode and for games, relegate those to an older PC. If you still must run xp on it, I would put it after the Win7 partition and before your data partition; I don't know if RST caching is available for xp.

Unfortunately my development work is on WinXP. I'm trying to migrate to Win7 but it is not an overnight activity.

- Intel RST maximum caching size is 64GB; I use all of it so it caches games I'm currently playing. This will leave 55GB free formatted capacity on a 128GB SSD. Additionally, you choose one drive to cache.

After doing more research, I understand what you mean. But 64+55=119GB. What happens to the remaining 9GB? (of the 128GB SDD)

- To use caching, you configure the Intel RAID controller to RAID, which includes AHCI anyway.

- SSDs are no less reliable than HDDs (and in my recent experience, more reliable). Additionally, when an SSD wears out, it is still readable for at least a year afterwards. You should backup your computer (or at least what can't be otherwise replaced/recovered) regardless of medium anyway.

- Unless you're running RAID or AFD, you don't need to align HDDs. Let Windows (or use its diskpart align parameter) to create SSD partitions; it aligns to 1M, which covers every possible scenario.

There are two guides (google them) I used: one to install Win7 onto the same SSD used for caching (you will have to install Win7 twice, which you should do anyway as the first install should be used to test/burn-in your hardware, especially if you overclock). The other guide explains how to use audit mode to install \Users and \ProgramData to another partition, which is what you'll need to to to keep them on the HDD.

Doing more research now. Since I have a spare 160GB HDD, I think I will give it a go.

Here are my thoughts now.

- WinXP OS and Apps on 1TB HDD (partitioned to 50GB for system OS and Apps. Several other partitions for data, movies, etc. No games for me).

- SRT cache on SSD (max of 64GB on SSD)
- Win7 64bit on SSD (remaining SSD space)

Will this work? Can my PC dual boot? (using BCDEdit)

Thank You.
Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 am

- FIXMBR or repair boot on the "cloned" drive still didn't work?

- Development on 7 pro's XP mode won't work? mainly what it was made for...but I could definitely see time-sucking issues/workarounds with it.

- The other 9GB is unformatted capacity

- I'm not sure what you're going to use the 160GB HDD for. Use Intel's RST caching on the 1TB disk. It isn't "dangerous" at all.

- I use EasyBCD to keep my xp, Ubuntu, Win7 multi-boot machine straight; it'll work. On my main machine, I have pretty much the same setup as your plan:

128GB SSD = System Reserved, C: (boot/system) partitions, caching
*2TB 7200RPM = D: (Programs), E: (Data)
2TB 5900RPM = F: (Backups)
500GB 7200RPM = G: (Videos)

* This disk is cached

I used audit mode to install \Users \ProgramData to E:
I used a junction to keep videos on G:
Don't Panic!
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Guilin28 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm

HI Rolo42, Thank You for your response and patience. While I occasionally build PCs, I have not needed to go beyond the basics. Using SSD is my first attempt.

- FIXMBR or repair boot on the "cloned" drive still didn't work?

Have not tried this. Will give a go tonight.

- Development on 7 pro's XP mode won't work? mainly what it was made for...but I could definitely see time-sucking issues/workarounds with it.

- The other 9GB is unformatted capacity

Noted.

- I'm not sure what you're going to use the 160GB HDD for. Use Intel's RST caching on the 1TB disk. It isn't "dangerous" at all.

After doing more research, more comfortable now but still on unfamiliar grounds. Just need to go thru once to build the confidence.

I think I'm still undecided now. I have never thought of using RST caching since my initial plan is to have WinXP and Win7 on the SSD dual boot.

Your earlier respond triggered me to a different path but after researching more, I might just go back to my original plan - dual boot WinXP/Win 7 on SSD and the 1TB for data, etc.

- On my main machine, I have pretty much the same setup as your plan:

128GB SSD = System Reserved, C: (boot/system) partitions, caching
*2TB 7200RPM = D: (Programs), E: (Data)
2TB 5900RPM = F: (Backups)
500GB 7200RPM = G: (Videos)

* This disk is cached

I used audit mode to install \Users \ProgramData to E:
I used a junction to keep videos on G:

Your main machine has only one OS which is different from my plan actually. But I can see the value of your set-up. Thanks for sharing. I have learned a lot more these few days :D
Guilin28

Postby Rolo42 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 pm

xp & 7 will fit fine on the 55GB SSD partition; my xp wasn't larger than 10GB and my Win7 boot is currently 42GB but I have several programs installed on it as well. I'd go that way; SSD is too fast to pass up. Additionally, if you think 64GB is too much for caching, you can go smaller.

I really do like having boot, programs, and data on separate partitions. It makes backups easier and I have separate, custom MyDefrag scripts for them as well.

re: experimenting. Definitely!
Don't Panic!
Rolo42
Expert Member
Expert Member

Next

Return to EaseUS Todo Backup (for paid users or pre-sales questions only)